Clothespin Apron

I love hanging laundry on the line.  It doesn’t take too long to put it up or take it down, and given a nice day and a bit of a breeze it doesn’t take too long to get things dry, either.  Yes, everything comes down stiff as a board, but it smells heavenly!  (Unless one of your neighbors decides it’s a good day to burn some trash . . .)
When I’m loitering around the thrift stores I keep an eye peeled for orphaned pillowcases.  If there’s just one in a pattern that appeals to me (or two that don’t have matching sheets) I’ll buy it and add it to my growing stash.  Slowly but surely, these are getting turned into grocery totes.  I follow the directions I found in this great tutorial on Craftster. One such pillowcase that followed me home had bold black and white stripes and a ruffled edge.  I set this one aside, envisioning one of those little hanging clothespin holders that look like an old-fashioned child’s shirt or dress, but I never found a child-size wooden hanger to complete the project.  In the meantime, I kept all my clothespins on the line when they weren’t in use, which meant that if I forgot to take down the clothesline (I have the removable umbrella kind) in inclement weather the clothespins got soggy and sometimes got knocked off into the grass and dirt below.
One of the latest Lehman’s catalogs (!) had a clothespin apron in it.  It didn’t look complicated – sort of a waitress apron with deeper pockets – and it was even stripey.  So I got out my black and white and ruffled one-off pillowcase and got to work making my own version.  I stitched the bottom shut through the existing bias tape, leaving the ruffles free to ruffle, and cut the pillowcase off seven inches above this stitch line.  I cut two more strips, 3-1/2” wide, out of the remaining fabric, opened their side seams, stitched the end of one to the end of the other and ironed them in half lengthwise to make the tie.  I folded up the edges  and ends of the tie 1/4” and situated it so that the center seam was centered on the pocket piece, encasing the back of the pocket in between the halves of the tie so that the top of the pocket’s raw edge was level with the folded-up edges inside the tie (sort of like an enormous strip of bias tape) and topstitched through all the layers  Then I covered the raw edge on the front of the pocket with black bias tape and stitched through all the layers straight up the middle (from the pocket bottom to the pocket top – not through the ruffle or the tie) to divide the pocket into two halves.  Voila! 
Matt snickers every time he sees me wearing it, which means that it has the appropriate level of cutesy silliness.  It’s also very handy.
– Amanda
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s