OK, there’s something I have to explain here, before I can continue. For the thirty years I’ve been talking I have referred to what 99.9% of Americans call “pot holders” as “hot loppins”. Most of my family does it – it comes from Mom’s side. (We also call pacifiers “loochies”). Mom has always blamed it on her father’s German heritage – and I recently discovered that this is correct. (Thanks to my online German lessons.) The word we have been slaying is “Handlappen”. (The other one is “Lutscher”.) I have been unable to train myself to say “pot holder” (or “pacifier”), so you’re going to have to put up with some German in this post.
As you can see, our Handlappen were on their last legs last week. We’d had them since before we were married (four years ago). So I whipped up some replacements from material left over from our door mats, which had been left over from Matt’s pants.
The technique I used was similar to the technique I used for the door mats, but this time I incorporated two layers of thin cotton batting. After I sewed the four squares together for the top I pressed the seams flat and pressed under the outer edges. I cut the batting just smaller than the top ended up (after ironing) and folded the edges of the backing (muslin, again) over the edges of the batting. I sandwiched the while shebang together, added a little loop (for which, had I been thinking, I would have used an actual belt loop instead of making a whole new thingie) and sewed right on through with jeans thread on my “new” (thrifted) sewing machine.
They didn’t take too long (although I did do a lot of basting, and therefore, a lot of basting-stitch removal) and they’ve been working quite well (particularly compared to the old pair!). I bake at least two loaves of bread a week, so having decent Handlappen is a must.